Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Facebook Blues:
The Effects of Viewing Your Ex's Page and
What You Can Do About Them

  
photo courtesy of FB
Call me a masochist but, sometimes I really couldn't help checking the Facebook pages of my  former boyfriends, boytoys, pseudo-lovers, and whatchamacallits. I get that certain itch on any kind of day and try to find out what's going on in their interesting lives when mine is obviously as boring as it gets. Why else should I be poking my nose in their business, if my life is all fireworks and rainbows? Ugh. I'm definitely a nut case. What's more, I feel depressed after I viewed their photos and wall postings. I can't help but feel a pinch when I learn that they're happy with their new girlfriends or wives and even their own children. I felt bad for a while when one of my exes even named his kid starting with the first letters of our names. I didn't check anymore whether it was only a coincidence or not, because I'll definitely feel much worse. How can one cope with this kind of stuff? Here are five things that we could do to avoid doing the silly things I mentioned and avoid self-inflicted pain. But still, it's up to you whether these can help you or not.  

1. Unfriend your ex-boyfriend: This could be the best way to avoid seeing his posts especially pictures with his new girlfriend or wife. If you cannot do this yet, try to at least unsubscribe to his feeds.

Disclaimer: All images,
trademarks, and references
to Facebook appearing in this
blog belong to Facebook.
2. Do not request or accept his friend request: If you're not yet friends on Facebook, it's easier to ignore him. But, don't attempt to make a friend request or get clicker happy when you see a friend request from him. Think more than a dozen times before accepting. Ask yourself if it will not affect your whole social networking life if you'll be friends with him or not.

3. Do not search for him: We often search for people, whether old schoolmates, friends, or even celebrities to add to our roster of FB friends. However, more often than not, we also type in names of old flames. Better stop before you go any further. As they say, past is past. Unless it's okay for you to be friends with them and that you are sure that doing so will be without any kind of conflict.

4. Untag your name from posts and photos where you both appear: Aside from untagging yourself, you my also ask your friends to refrain from tagging you in photos which can be accessible both ways. That is, you and your ex can see the same post and this can also be seen in your walls.

5. Make Facebook a place where you can thrive: Whether it's real or virtual, we should try to make our surroundings as healthy and as happy as possible. I believe Facebook was created to bring people together not to destroy lives. So, let's share our love and lives to those who really matter and leave the good ol' past behind. Move on and be happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment