Thursday, November 10, 2011

It's A Dog's Life: The Japanese Spitz Way

When people learn that I have five dogs at home, their faces usually register the same expressions: a smile and an imaginary speech bubble saying, "What? Are you crazy?" I often just laugh at them and make them feel like they are actually missing a lot if they haven't experienced staying in a house full of barking-mad dogs. Boisterous and furniture-wrecking dogs, a.k.a. monsters, they are, I love them so much that even the thought of losing them one day brings tears to my eyes. They are the children that I may never have and my stress relievers when I get home tired from work. They may be the dogs that annoy my parents on a daily basis and the dogs that keep guests out of the house, but they're the best ones I could ever have. So, what kind of dogs are they?   

Zhiva (10 months old)
Japanese Spitz Dogs
They are medium sized dogs which originated from several northern breeds. They usually have a white coat of hair which is thicker and longer around their necks. They also have furry tails that are curled over their backs. Japanese Spitz dogs resemble the American Eskimo dog and the Samoyed dog. They also have similar features with the Pomeranian breed but they are slightly larger in size and their faces have a wedged shape. They are very playful and crave attention. They love to be pampered and babied, but sometimes show sign of indifference. They bark a lot especially when there are strangers about. They don't easily trust outsiders and they still bark at people who they regularly see once or twice a week. They tend to suffer from separation anxiety when left alone at home for more than an hour. This can cause a chewing and wrecking spree. They bite furniture, shoes, magazines, paper, plastic, and whatever they can sink their teeth into. So, it is best to train them well or keep them, when left alone, in an area where they cannot destroy any of your things. Better yet, consult Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer.

Courtney (2 years old) and baby Zachary (1 month old)
Loving Pets
Japanese Spitz dogs are very sweet and loving. Expect to be slobbered when you get home even after going out for a couple of hours. My pets usually try to beat each other out in getting to be the first to sit with me on the sofa. They always want to be hugged and cuddled. They also enjoy taking baths, having their fur brushed, and getting treats. They seem to understand when I feel bad because they surround me and try to sit very close to me as if trying to keep me warm inside and out. They even wake me up in the morning when they hear my alarm and realize that I'm not yet getting up. One or two of them will get into my bed and lick my face non-stop until I get up and say, "Gising na 'ko! (I'm awake!)"    

L to R: Courtney, Cedric, Zachary, Zhiva, and Kjiara
Loyal Guards
My pets are the most effective burglar alarm! Even the slightest sound outside can alert them and when they hear voices in the middle of the night, they will bark a lot until you have checked and tell them that everything is okay. They are wary of strangers and rarely accept food from others unless I allow them. 

Lively Toys 
I love having fun with all of them during the weekends. They like playing tag and fetch. They also enjoy dressing up! It's like playing with a living doll. They'll even pose for the camera and let you take as many pictures as you want, that is, until they get tired and run away. However, they can be choosy with the type of clothes I force them to wear. You'll know if they don't like it because they'll be shredding it right after you dress them up.    


Zhiva and Cedric
Cuddly Comedians
Whenever I feel bad or sad about something, my dogs, whether intentionally or not, usually come to me and make cute faces. They even make me laugh with their silly antics. They would also allow me to cuddle and hug them, even Zachary, one of my male Japanese Spitz dogs, who doesn't like being touched.

Unconditional Love
My Japanese Spitz dogs are the source of my happiness and inpiration. They fill empty days, feelings, and anything in between. They love me unconditionally. Enough said.   


No comments:

Post a Comment